Dr. William Watfa is currently Chief of the Plastic & Reconstructive/Aesthetic Surgery Division and a Specialist in Microsurgery at the Saint-George Hospital University Medical Center, where he holds an academic rank as Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery.
Following his graduation with an MD, Dr. Watfa pursued his passionate specialty in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. In addition to his affiliation with the Lebanese Order of Physicians and the Lebanese Society of Plastic, Reconstructive, & Aesthetic Surgery, Dr. Watfa is a member of the General Medical Council with the rights to practice in the United Kingdom where he initiated his training in the field. He is also a Fellow of the European Board of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (EBOPRAS), and a holder of the Swiss Senology Diploma.
He started postgraduate training in plastic surgery in the division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at St George University Medical Center, Beirut and completed his training at the renowned Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois (CHUV)- in Lausanne, Switzerland, where he was appointed “Chef de Clinique”. During his 3 years of practice at Lausanne University Hospital, he underwent a fellowship in Microsurgery and breast reconstruction. He also benefited from a high load practice in burns and transgender surgery.
Dr. Watfa’s fellowship training at the prestigious Centre Hospitalier Universtaire Vaudois (CHUV) in Lausanne, Switzerland, was enriched by the work pursued with the legendary Professor Wassim Raffoul in his capacity as Chairman of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and a leader in hand surgery and the treatment of burns.
Dr. Watfa has also added to his experience in aesthetic surgery during his Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship training at the renowned LaClinic-Montreux in Switzerland headed by the famous Dr. Michel Pfulg who is rated among the world’s five top aesthetic surgeons.
Soon after his last assignment as Chef de Clinique in Plastic and Hand Surgery at CHUV in Lausanne, Dr. Watfa became determined to re-connect with his mother institution at St. George’s Hospital Faculty of Medicine in Beirut. The decision was inspired by his desire to contribute to the state of the art in plastic and reconstructive surgery in Lebanon and the Middle East. As an accredited Specialist in Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery, and cognizant of the distinctive challenges that surround the profession, Dr. Watfa’s practice will employ the latest breakthroughs and care about the surgical perfections.
Dr. Watfa has contributed to research and published work in a number of topics:
Composite ATL flap for structured reconstruction of the abdominal wall: New insights from long-term outcomes in 14 patients
di Summa PG, Watfa W, Giordano S, Elahi-Rausis L, Bauquis O, Hahnloser D, Raffoul W.
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2019 Oct;72(10):1700-1738. doi:10.1016/j.bjps.2019.06.011. Epub 2019 Jun 26
Late avulsion of a free flap in a patient with severe psychiatric illness: Establishing a successful salvage strategy
Schaffer C, Hart A, Watfa W, Raffoul W, di Summa PG.
Arch Plast Surg. 2019 Apr 20. doi: 10.5999/aps.2018.01039. [Epub ahead of print]
A comprehensive guide to upper lip aesthetic rejuvenation
Baudoin J, Meuli JN, di Summa PG, Watfa W, Raffoul W.
J Cosmet Dermatol. 2019 Apr;18(2):444-450. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12881. Epub 2019 Mar 12. Review.
Systematic review of outcomes and complications in nonimplant-based mastopexy surgery
di Summa PG, Oranges CM, Watfa W, Sapino G, Keller N, Tay SK, Chew BK, Schaefer DJ, Raffoul W.
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2019 Feb; 72(2):243-272. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2018.10.018 Epub 2018 Nov 9. Review.
Erratum in: J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2019 Jun;72(6):1049
An Original and Simple Autoaugmentation Mastopexy in Mild to Moderate Breast Ptosis: Superior Pedicle Frontal Division to Achieve Upper Pole Fullness
Abboud L, Watfa W, diSumma P.G, Raffoul W.
Gland Surg 2017. doi: 10.21037/gs.2017.08.01
Matriderm decreases donor site morbidity after Radial Forearm Free Flap harvesting in Transgender surgery
Watfa W, diSumma P.G, Meuli J, Raffoul W, Bauqis O.
J Sex Med 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.jsxm.2017.08.003
Why be a Refugee Camp Doctor: the Challenges, Rewards and Medical Education Aspects and rewards
Abi Nader H, Watfa W.
Int J Med Educ 2017. 8:285-287. doi: 10.5116/ijme.5985.c959
Trace Element Intakes should be revised in burn nutritional protocols : A Cohort Study
Jafari P, Thomas A, Haselbach D, Watfa W, Pantet O, Michett M, Raffoul W, Applegate L-A, Augsburger M, Berger MM.
Clin Nutr. 2017 Apr 4. pii: S0261-5614(17)30119-X. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2017.03.028.
Bipolar Latissimus Dorsi Transfer through a Single Incision: First Key-Step in Poland Syndrome Chest Deformity
Watfa W, diSumma P.G, Raffoul W..
Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016 15;4(8):e847
Rat Model of Burn Wound Healing: Effect of Botox
Abdallah Hajj Hussein I, Dali Balta N, Jurjus RA, Watfa W, Georges A, Atiyeh B, Pullar C, Leone A, Jurjus AR.
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2012 26(3): 389-400
Congress Presented Abstracts
- Watfa W, Raffoul W, « Bipolar Latissimus Dorsi Transfer In Poland Syndrome Reconstruction », IIIrd World Congress of Plastic Surgeons of Lebanese Descent, Beirut, Lebanon (October 2014)
- Watfa W, Raffoul W, « Bipolar Latissimus Dorsi Transfer In Poland Syndrome Reconstruction », 51th Swiss Congress of Plastic Surgery, Thun, Switzerland (September 2015)
- Watfa W, Jafari P, Augsburger M, Thomas A, Berger, Raffoul W, Applegate LA. Burn wound exudate; a tool to reassess the micronutrient needs for major burn patients. LSPRAS 50th Anincersary Conference, Beirut, Lebanon (April 2016)
- Watfa W, diSumma P.G, Meuli J, Raffoul W, Bauqis O. « Decreasing Radial Forearm Free Flap Morbidity with use of Matriderm ® », 52th Swiss Congress of Plastic Surgery, Lausanne, Switzerland (September 2016)
- Watfa W, diSumma P.G, Meuli J, Raffoul W,Bauqis O. « Decreasing Donor-Site Morbidity of the Radial Forearm Free Flap with the use of Matriderm ® », Swiss Society of Hand Surgery Congress, Geneva, Switzerland (November 2016)
- Watfa W, diSumma P.G, Orange C, Sapino G, Raffoul W. « Mastopexy review : outcomes and complications », 53th Swiss Congress of Plastic Surgery, St-Moritz, Switzerland (September 2017)
Congress and Courses Organization (Organizer and Participant)
- 1st Swiss Scientific Day, Faculty of Medicine and Medical Sciences, University of Balamand, Beirut, Lebanon (25th April 2016)
- Swiss Suturing and wound management Workshop , Faculty of Medicine and Medical Sciences, University of Balamand, Beirut, Lebanon (March 2017)